Dwayne McDuffie was born on February 20, he died on February 21st, and I was born on February 22nd. That probably means nothing but McDuffie had an incredible impact on my life and showed me what it was like to see universe full of black superheroes. He showed me it was possible and now thanks to him I try to make that clear in my work to this day. It’s not any secret that my superhero was directly inspired by his creation Static.
It sucks that I’m going to be reminded every year around my birthday about what a great loss the world of comics and entertainment suffered, but at the same time it’ll make sure that I never forget him and that I celebrate him for the genius that he was. I’ll never forget you Dwayne, I wish like hell I could have gotten the chance to meet you in person to shake your hand and tell you thank you. But instead I’ll do my best to live up to your example and if I can give a kid just a fraction of the inspiration that you gave me then I’ll be satisfied, but I’ll still keep going after that.
- devonthadude likes this
- ealperin reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- ealperin likes this
- art-of-kenesu likes this
- life-death-and-love reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics and added:
- noautopilot likes this
- the-epimethean-boy likes this
- bialystock-bloom reblogged this from werewolfau
- skyliting reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- werewolfau reblogged this from blackfolksmakingcomics
- blackfolksmakingcomics reblogged this from drawology
- thoughtnami likes this
- theartboss likes this
- drawology posted this